Posted April 28, 2012
A favorite dessert of the Stark Family, washed down with a liquid bagel.
Lemon Cakes and Milk of the Poppy
1/2 cup white sugar, plus additional for dusting
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
Zest of 1 1/2 to 2 lemons, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Butter and sugar 6 ramekins. Sift together the sugar, flour, and salt and set aside.
2. Beat 2 egg whites until you achieve soft peaks. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 egg yolks. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture and then fold in the egg whites until no white remains.
4. Divide the batter among the ramekins. Prepare a water bath (put ramekins in a pan and heat a pot of water. Place the ramekins in the pan and fill the water until you cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the ramekins. Cover entire pan with aluminum foil.)
5. Bake for 25 minutes and uncover. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until cakes are golden brown. Remove from water bath and let cool for a couple minutes before unmolding.
Recipe taken from official Game of Thrones Production Blog:http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/got-lemon-cakes-recipe.pdf
Milk of the Poppy:
1/2 cup of poppy seeds
Sugar, Honey, Vanilla Extract / Almond Extract
Soak the poppy seeds in warm water overnight until they are soft. Remove the water and grind/blend the poppy seeds. Strain the poppy milk from the seeds with a cheesecloth.
Repeat! and Repeat! and repeat!
When done, add sugar, honey, and vanilla or almond extract to taste.